Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Two years after Apple paid $50 million to settle a class-action lawsuit over faulty MacBook butterfly keyboards, funds from the settlement will be going out to affected customers.

macbook-pro-butterfly-keyboard.jpg

An update on the MacBook Keyboard Litigation Settlement website says that the court issued a payment order on June 27, 2024, with payments set to be issued for approved claims by August 2024.

Emails about the lawsuit were sent out in December 2022 to MacBook owners eligible for a payment. MacBook owners who had at least two topcase replacements from Apple within four years of purchase are set to receive a maximum of $395, while customers who had one topcase repair will receive up to $125. Those who had keycap replacements are eligible for up to $50.

Claims were accepted through March 6, 2023, and the settlement was ultimately approved on May 25, 2023. There is no word on why there has been more than a year's delay getting payments sent out to customers.

Apple used butterfly keyboards in Macs between 2015 and 2019, and while the design was updated several times during that four-year period, the butterfly mechanism was prone to failure. Thousands of customers had issues with repeating keys, sticking keys, and keyboard failures due to crumbs, dust, and other issues.

Apple launched a repair program in June 2018 covering the MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro models manufactured from 2015 on, but it only covered machines for four years after purchase and because butterfly keyboards were replaced with another butterfly keyboard, no permanent fix was available.

Due to the major failure of the butterfly keyboard, Apple swapped back to a scissor switch mechanism. Macs manufactured since late 2019 have had the much more reliable scissor switch keyboard that is able to stand up to wear and tear.

Article Link: MacBook Owners With Faulty Butterfly Keyboards to Get Payouts Soon

Jody Hewell

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
South Florida
I have a 2019 16" Intel based MacBook Pro and the entire lower right keyboard corner has failed... the arrow keys primarily. However, the settlement stops short of this model. But the keyboard still sux.... Soon I will be replacing it with an M3 or M4 MBP, but I've had to live without arrow keys for several years. Was quoted $650 to replace the keyboard.... There is no settlement for me, however.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
I have a 2019 16" Intel based MacBook Pro and the entire lower right keyboard corner has failed... the arrow keys primarily. However, the settlement stops short of this model. But the keyboard still sux.... Soon I will be replacing it with an M3 or M4 MBP, but I've had to live without arrow keys for several years. Was quoted $650 to replace the keyboard.... There is no settlement for me, however.

Because you have a completely different keyboard.

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
Apple CRU'd my 2019 after 3 keyboard repairs for a 2020 Intel with the Magic Keyboard... which, I then sold to fund a 14" M1 Pro.

All's well that ends well. Not Apple's finest hour.

Reactions: Burnincoco

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
I burned through 3 different butterfly MBA's, one out of warranty, in 2018, they eventually "lemon law"-d it and gave me free replacements, after which i learned my lesson to always get applecare.

Hope to get some money next month

shadowboi

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
Good that we have media these days. I have been holding off buying Macbook for all those 7 or smth years they have been selling those models. But it is beyond my understanding why this “hush hush” culture still exists when there is a huge engineering flaw and everyone like “Anyway their laptops are best”, and everyone was silencing the issue for so many years.

Lol I have several old PC keyboards lying around, each cost no more than 10€ and all of them are still in working condition! I change them just like the socks, when I want better design.

I don’t understand why people rarely try to hold them accountable by mass returning the failed devices. Hope they learn something with this lawsuit, who else will teach them better than the money they have to give away?

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
I use to upgrade Macs every 3 years but held on to my MBP 13 retina from 2015 until 2022. Reasons were butterfly keyboard and lack of magsafe. I’m gonna use my current MBP 14 until it doesn’t get new OS or it breaks down (whichever occurs first)

makeitrainnaren

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2020
I have had the worst luck with MacBooks but Apple has taken care of me lol.

First, I had a 2012 NVIDIA retina that was replaced with a 2016 model free of charge, then that had the keyboard replaced 3 times, so they gave me a 2019 16, which had GPU issues resulting in another free M1 Max MBP.

(Since the 2016 model was fixed 3 times, I also qualified for the $395 payout on a free laptop). I literally have not paid for a MacBook since 2012 lol and will get paid for a free laptop!

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
I had some minor issues with mine only due to a small drink spill (promptly cleaned up but some sugar remnants remained). Otherwise, it worked great, and when I got the battery replaced I got a new top case with keyboard. It's now as good as new. I actually found it pretty nice to type on!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.
  翻译: