Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dedediane

Travertine

9 years ago
Would you kindly share who makes or what company supplied this travertine?
Have you found any problems using Travertine in steam showers? Any extra precautions regimented when using Travertine stone in a shower, what sealer, water proof system.
Very nice job, thank you
11 Hawk's Landing, Priddis, AB · More Info

Comments (3)

• PRO
    9 years ago

Hello the Travertine came from a local supplier. It is truly a great product in showers, steam rooms and pool areas. We always protect our steam rooms with a double layer of poly, concrete board and then hydroban prior to tile installation. This assures no issues in the future. Jim

• 9 years ago
    Thank you, I will look into these products!
  • 9 years ago
    Hi Jim,
    I located the water proof material at a store not to far from here. I will pick it up and have it ready. When I pick up the water proof material I will ask them what tape they regimen to use with it. Normally I work with contractors on something like this but since it's my personal home I am working on it! What is poly?
    One more question, on another bathroom... In this bathroom the sub flooring is Plywood. I am installing 1/2" Limestone Casablanca by Marble Systems.. I have hardwood flooring meeting this and I didn't want a lip walking in. The hardwood is 1/2"... The only thing that I see we can do with the least amount of height under the limestone is this. Make sure the tile guys start with a clean sub flooring, a thin layer of thin set add 1/4" cement board ( Hardie Board or Miracle Board ?) laid correctly, then another thin layer of thin set, use the correct screws with the correct distance between the screws. After this, a layer of HdroBan water proofing. I guess since the top will be water proofed you shouldn't water proof the plywood and not to have back to back water proof treatments together. Let me know what you think, if you think there is a better way. I am using limestone threshold, I guess just a little over 1/4" difference isn't terrible and it could be worse. My poor tile guys when they come back!
    I was thinking about getting my contractors license but haven't had time. Now I think I am just happy being a Designer and letting the contractor worry about all these little details as long as they are a great contractor and have very good sub contractors. I will watch closer now no matter who they are just to make sure. Thank so much for all your insightful wisdom and help! Diane
  翻译: