The "cheap" Nikkor f2.8 "Holy Trinity" lenses. How competent are they?

donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,729Member
This is an image just shot in Maine with the new Nikkor 17-28 f2.8 lens which is less than half the price of the 14-24 f2.8 lens. Click through to flckr to see the full resolution image and see if you think "pro" work can be done with this lens or if you think a person needs to spend twice as much to get good images. Z9 body at ISO 64 and 1/250th second shutter speed. Lens shot at 19mm and f5.6. I call the image "The Last Light of the Day."

DON_4012A_1A

Comments

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,729Member
    This is the Bush Family Complex in Kennebunkport Maine shot with the "cheap" Nikkor 70-180 f2.8 lens costing about half the price of the 70-200 f2.8. Z9 body ISO 64. Shot at 79mm, f5.6, 1/320 sec shutter speed. You can click through to flckr for a detailed examination.

DON_3991A_3
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    These new lenses are extremely competent. I have a variety of Z cameras and lenses but use the F holy trinity with the FTZ. I don't need the best image quality for shooting events, so if the focal length works for you they would be perfect.
    I have both S and non-S "Holy Trinity" lenses and took only the non-S to Maine because I expected a lot of salt water spray I did not want to subject my more expensive S glass to. I have no regrets. Click on the "Last Light of the Day" image above, open the image in flckr original size and look at the wave drops in the lower right hand corner. Sharp enough? It is for me. But I think this image "Last Light of the Day 2" is better because of the more magenta light and the better compensation of the foreground waves. So far this is my favorite image from that trip. Click through to flicker and pixel peep. Last Light of the Day_2
    This is an image recently shot in Maine with the "cheap" Nikkor DX 18-140 f3.5-6.3 all purpose zoom lens mounted on the four year old Z50. This combination makes for a good and light walkaround Processed through NX Studio. Can "good" photos be taken with such a combination? Click through to flcker and evaluate for yourself. Ogunquit Beach, Ogunquit, Maine
    Also taken with the Z50 and 18-140 zoom. Rocky Coast of Maine from The Marginal Way walking path.

Rocky Coast of Maine from Marginal Way
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    I think that any full frame Z-mount lens is going to have good optics. Sure, some will be excellent and even suburb. But all are at least good.
    Yes, that last image was with Nikkor DX lens shot with very strong side lighting. I would rather have had the sun to my back but that was not the way it was at the time I was there. I see I shot the image at ISO 400. There was no reason to be at ISO 400. I don't know why I was not at base ISO. Didn't notice I was not at the time. Click through to flickr and then click to full size and look at 3 O'Clock to see two people down in the sand. Even this Z mount DX all in one zoom lens has surprisingly good optics. That is why I think it is an excellent light weight travel lens with the Z50 body. I remember "back in the day" when both you and I carried the Nikon Coolpix A in our briefcases. I no longer do. Now the Z50 with the DX 18-140 lens is my "always have a camera along" choice although it does not as easily fit into a suitcase.