Custom Search
How to register for the NikonRumors Forum

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)

Links:

Pixel Shift in Zf will be in Z6III and Z7III?

Don't you think Nikon will use the same IBS technology in the Z6III and Z7III it uses in the Zf? I do. So what will its pixel shift technology do in terms of giving us higher megapixel files and when will pixel shift be usable? This Henry Hudson video gives us a good clue as to what is possible. He says pixel shift can produce a clean 96mp file from a 24mp image sensor. If true, that is a 4x upscale of pixels. If the Z7III has 60mp sensor with pixel shift able to increase pixels 4x that would be a 240 pixel file. It could be amazing in certain situations. Even a 2x upscale could exceed 100 mp from a full frame 60mp sensor. Of course it is not going to work with fast action subjects but it could work with studio subjects and still landscapes. The exact limits of subject movement is yet to be determined and may depend a bit upon the shutter speed used.

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    You can bet that the Z6iii and a Z7iii (if there is one) will have the pixel shift technology. In fact, I think that the Z9ii and Z8ii will also have it.

I am not that excited about pixel shift. It is a very narrow use case give that there can be no subject motion for it to work. Second, how many lenses are going to resolve at 96mp? There will be some benefit on a nice lens for sure. But if a Z8 or Z9 get updated with pixel shift (180mp files), I will be curious to compare my lenses on such a Z8/Z9 and my ZF with pixel shift. I will not be surprised if I cannot tell the difference regardless of the lens.

And one thing to keep in mind. At 45mp you are diffraction limited at f/8.0. At 90mp you are diffraction limited at f/5.6. And f/4.0 at 180mp. Roughly.......